Consignment Guidelines and Request Form
Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore is proud to support local authors through our consignment program, which allows us to carry and feature a much wider variety of self-published and indie titles than we could through traditional purchasing.
Before completing the attached Consignment Request Form, please review the following: If your book is self-published or not readily available through our normal wholesalers, we may choose to sell it in our stores on a consignment basis. When your books are on consignment, they remain your property until sold. Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore cannot be responsible for lost or stolen merchandise.
If you would like your books to be considered for our consignment program, please follow these guidelines:
- Please make all consignment requests in writing or email via this form. We are not able to accommodate walk-ins or telephone inquiries. Additional forms are available for download at [ellenplumbs.com].
- To be considered for our program, your book must have the following:
- A printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name (no spiral binding, please)
- Paperback, hardback, board, or equivalent cover displaying the title and author name
- A 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Our consignment review process usually takes several business days. We will notify you via email of our decision as soon as possible.
- Materials submitted cannot be returned via mail. We will hold all materials for 30 days for in-store pickup at your earliest convenience.
- When we carry your book on consignment, we will display it on our shelves at Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore.
- As books sell, we will request additional copies from you. Feel free to check in with us via email regarding the sales of your book.
- Upon the sale of your book, you will receive 60% of the retail value of the book per copy sold. Checks will be sent monthly, after books are sold.
- Twice a year, we will evaluate the success of your book. If no books were sold, we will decide whether to keep your book on our shelves. If we choose not to continue carrying your book, we will contact you to arrange pickup.
- New to consignment? Here are some tips:
- Encourage everyone you know to purchase your book at Ellen Plumb’s.
- Contact local media and other outreach channels to announce that your book is available at our store.
- Send out press releases, review copies, and other promotional materials to generate interest.
- Get involved with book clubs, writing groups, libraries, and other organizations relevant to your book’s subject matter.
- The greatest success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated outreach programs.
- If you would like to hold a book signing at our store, please request information regarding our Local Author Showcase events.
Consignment Request Form
Complete this form in its entirety and bring in or mail three copies of your book, labeled “Consignment Request,” to Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore. If you have more than one book you’d like us to consider for consignment, complete one form for each request. We will notify you of our decision as soon as possible.
City: ____________________________________State: _____ ZIP: ____________
Email Address: _____________________________________________________
Phone Number: ______________________________________________________
ISBN: ________________________ Subject: ______________________________
Publication Date: __________________________ Retail Price: _________________
Signed: ______________________________________ Date: ________________
- This form, completed in full
- Three copies of your consignment book. Prominently mark the package “Consignment Request”.
- Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, 1101 Commercial, Emporia, KS 66801
- 620-208-BOOK (2665)
Artist Consignment Agreement
This Artist Consignment Agreement (this “Agreement”) is made and entered into this ____ day of ___________, 20___ by and between Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, LLC, a Kansas Limited Liability Company (the “Bookstore”) and ___________________ being referred to herein as (the “Artist”).
WHEREAS, the Artist has original merchandise or artwork (the “Consigned Merchandise”) created by the Artist available for sale or display; and
WHEREAS, the Artist desires to make the Consigned Merchandise available for sale or display by the Bookstore, and the Bookstore desires to accept the Artist’s Consigned Merchandise for sale or display in the Bookstore, and to hold such Consigned Merchandise on a consignment basis in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the premises and the mutual covenants and agreements contained herein, the Artist and the Bookstore agree as follows:
1. Scope of Relationship; Independent Contractors. The relationship between the Artist and the Bookstore shall be that of independent contractors. All persons the Artist furnishes to provide professional services to the Bookstore shall be employees or subcontractors of the Artist and shall be neither the employees nor agents of the Bookstore. The Artist is not eligible to participate in any employment benefit plans or other benefits or conditions of employment available to the Bookstore’s employees.
2.1 The Bookstore accepts on consignment, the Consigned Merchandise listed on the list of inventory (“Inventory Sheet”), which is attached hereto as a part of this Agreement. Additional Inventory Sheets may be incorporated into this Agreement at such time as both parties agree to the consignment of other Consigned Merchandise. All Inventory Sheets shall be signed by the Artist and the Bookstore.
2.2 All sales of Consigned Merchandise will be transacted through Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, LLC.
2.3 The Bookstore may, at its discretion, photograph, telecast, or reproduce images of the Consigned Merchandise in its publications, website, and other promotional materials.
2.4 The Bookstore shall sell the Consigned Merchandise at the retail price established by the Artist, as specified on the Inventory Sheet, and will provide price and display tags for all Consigned Merchandise.
2.5 The Artist is responsible for keeping his or her contact information with the Bookstore current. In the event the Bookstore is unable to contact the Artist for a period of ninety (90) days, Consigned Merchandise will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of at the discretion of the Bookstore.
3. Term. The term (“Term”) of this Agreement commences (place an X in the appropriate parenthesis):
3.1. ( ) This contract is for a minimum of ninety (90) days, after which time either party may discontinue this agreement by written or verbal notice, or
3.2. ( ) This contract will cover the following time period: __________ 20____ through ________________ 20____. [This Agreement shall automatically terminate with the death of the Artist or if the Bookstore becomes bankrupt or insolvent.]
4. Payment Terms. The Bookstore and the Artist agree that the Bookstore’s commission is to be 50% of the retail price of the Consigned Merchandise. The Bookstore will pay to the Artist 50% of the retail price of the Consigned Merchandise sold in the month no later than thirty (30) days after the end of the month of the sale.
5. Security and Risk of Loss. The Bookstore shall provide the same level of care, security, and protection for Consigned Merchandise as is currently provided for Bookstore property. The Bookstore upon receipt of the Consigned Merchandise will report evidence of any damage to the Artist.
6. Insurance. The Bookstore shall be liable up to and not exceeding twenty-five hundred dollars ($2,500) per individual Artist for the loss or damage (except from flaws or damage inherent in the Consigned Merchandise) to any and all Consigned Merchandise delivered to the Bookstore. It becomes the responsibility of the Artist to maintain additional insurance necessary to insure any and all of the Consigned Merchandise for the full amount the Artist would have received from the Bookstore if the Consigned Merchandise would have been sold.
7. Security Interest. Title to and a security interest in the Consigned Merchandise are reserved to the Artist. The Consigned Merchandise shall not be subject to claims by the Bookstore’s creditors. The Bookstore acknowledges that it has no right to and shall not pledge or encumber any Consigned Merchandise in its possession nor incur any charge or obligation for which the Artist may be liable.
8. Transportation of Consigned Merchandise. The Artist is responsible for all packing and shipping expenses associated with the delivery or return of their Consigned Merchandise. The Artist may personally deliver/pick-up their Consigned Merchandise during normal business hours with forty-eight (48) hours’ notice to Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, LLC.
9. Consequential Damages. In no event under or in connection with the activities contemplated by this Agreement shall either party be liable to the other party for special, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to loss of income, sales, profits, or goodwill.
10.1 This Agreement constitutes the sole understanding of the parties with respect to the matters contemplated hereby and thereby and supersedes and renders null and void all other prior agreements and understandings between the parties with respect to such matters. Any provision of this Agreement can be amended if, and only if, such amendment is in writing and signed by both parties.
10.2 Neither party may assign its rights or delegate its duties under this Agreement without the prior written consent of the other party.
10.3 This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Kansas, notwithstanding any conflict of law provision to the contrary.
10.4 If any provisions in this Agreement are determined by any court to be invalid or unenforceable, the invalid or unenforceable provisions of this Agreement shall not affect the other provisions hereof which shall continue in full force and effect.
10.5 This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement as of the date set forth above.
ELLEN PLUMB’S CITY BOOKSTORE, LLC ARTIST
Signature _______________________________ Signature_______________________________
Print Name: _____________________________ Print Name: _____________________________
Print Title: ______________________________ Print Title: ______________________________
Address: 1101 Commercial_________________ Address: _______________________________
__Emporia, KS 66801______________________ _______________________________________
Phone No.: 620-208-2665__________________ Phone No.: _____________________________Email: firstname.lastname@example.org_____________ Email: _________________________________
Each month, Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore features a selection of books from local self-published and indie authors. On the final Sunday of the month, the featured authors gather at the store for a book signing and meet-and-greet.
Ellen Plumb’s is fortunate to be approached by many local authors who would like to share their work with bookstore patrons through presentations and signing events. Ellen Plumb’s is a passionate advocate for literacy and lifelong learning, and supports local authors in their efforts.
To serve both local authors and bookstore customers, Ellen Plumb’s hosts monthly Local Author Showcase events. Each Showcase features up to six authors; each has ten minutes to read from and/or talk about his or her book(s). After all the presentations, authors are available for book signing and conversation with attendees.
The Local Author Showcase is an offshoot of the former Author Extravaganza event hosted by Town Crier in years past. 2016 marks the tenth anniversary of that event.
- Authors must provide, in advance, books to be sold at Ellen Plumb’s during the Showcase event. Please see Consignment Guidelines (below) for our process and payment information.
- Books must be published and have first publication dates of 2014 or later.
- Authors who have participated in prior Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore presentation/signing events are not eligible to participate in a Showcase for the same book.
- Each participating author must send event invitations to a minimum of 25 people in the area, or provide the bookstore with a list of at least 25 email addresses to be used for the same purpose.
- Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore will publicize each Showcase through a variety of channels (posters, newsletters, email blasts, press releases, social media, and more).
- Ellen Plumb’s will provide event space, refreshments, and staff to make introductions for each Showcase event.
- There will be no charge for the authors or for those attending.
- Participation in Local Author Showcase is by application only. Applications must be received 30 days prior to your earliest preferred Showcase date.
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Showcase events fill up quickly.
- Local Author Showcase events will occur on the final Sunday of each month, at 2:00 pm. Authors should plan to be at the bookstore at least 30 minutes prior to the event.
- September 25, 2016
- October 30, 2016
- November 27, 2016
- **No Showcase in December**
- January 29, 2017
- February 26, 2017
- March 26, 2017
- April 30, 2017
- May 28, 2017
- June 25, 2017
- July 30, 2017
- August 27, 2017
- September 24, 2017
- October 29, 2017
- November 26, 2017
Participation in Local Author Showcase is by application only. Please complete and return the application by the appropriate deadline to:
Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore
Local Author Showcase
Emporia, KS 66801
LOCAL AUTHOR SHOWCASE -- APPLICATION
Date of Showcase you wish to attend: ________________________1st Choice
______________________2nd Choice _______________________3rd Choice
City:______________________________ State:________ Zip:_______________
Intended Audience (check one): _____Adult _____ Young Adult _____Children
ISBN:________________________________ Publication Date:______________
Format (check all that apply): ____Hardcover ____Paperback ____Ebook ____Audio
Brief author bio:
***Please email a .jpg of the book cover to email@example.com -- required***
____ I have attached at least 25 email addresses for the Showcase invitation
____ Please send me the e-invite and I will email it to at least 25 people
Send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed forms may be turned in to any staff member at Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, 1101 Commercial, Emporia KS 66801.
New authors often have many questions about how best to finish, publish, and market their books. Staff at Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore is always happy to meet with new authors.