Heads-up to local (read: Kansas) indie and self-published authors.
Each month, Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore features a selection of books from local self-published and indie authors. On the final Sunday of the month, the featured authors gather at the store for a book signing and meet-and-greet.
Ellen Plumb’s is fortunate to be approached by many local authors who would like to share their work with bookstore patrons through presentations and signing events. Ellen Plumb’s is a passionate advocate for literacy and lifelong learning, and supports local authors in their efforts.
To serve both local authors and bookstore customers, Ellen Plumb’s hosts monthly Local Author Showcase events. Each Showcase features up to six authors; each has ten minutes to read from and/or talk about his or her book(s). After all the presentations, authors are available for book signing and conversation with attendees.
The Local Author Showcase is an offshoot of the former Author Extravaganza event hosted by Town Crier in years past. 2016 marks the tenth anniversary of that event.
- Authors must provide, in advance, books to be sold at Ellen Plumb’s during the Showcase event. Please see Consignment Guidelines (below) for our process and payment information.
- Books must be published and have first publication dates of 2014 or later.
- Authors who have participated in prior Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore presentation/signing events are not eligible to participate in a Showcase for the same book.
- Each participating author must send event invitations to a minimum of 25 people in the area, or provide the bookstore with a list of at least 25 email addresses to be used for the same purpose.
- Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore will publicize each Showcase through a variety of channels (posters, newsletters, email blasts, press releases, social media, and more).
- Ellen Plumb’s will provide event space, refreshments, and staff to make introductions for each Showcase event.
- There will be no charge for the authors or for those attending.
- Participation in Local Author Showcase is by application only. Applications must be received 30 days prior to your earliest preferred Showcase date.
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Showcase events fill up quickly.
- Local Author Showcase events will occur on the final Sunday of each month, at 2:00 pm. Authors should plan to be at the bookstore at least 30 minutes prior to the event.
- September 25, 2016
- October 30, 2016
- November 27, 2016
- **No Showcase in December**
- January 29, 2017
- February 26, 2017
- March 26, 2017
- April 30, 2017
- May 28, 2017
- June 25, 2017
- July 30, 2017
- August 27, 2017
- September 24, 2017
- October 29, 2017
- November 26, 2017
Participation in Local Author Showcase is by application only. Please complete and return the application by the appropriate deadline to:
Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore
Local Author Showcase
Emporia, KS 66801
LOCAL AUTHOR SHOWCASE -- APPLICATION
Date of Showcase you wish to attend: ________________________1st Choice
______________________2nd Choice _______________________3rd Choice
City:______________________________ State:________ Zip:_______________
Intended Audience (check one): _____Adult _____ Young Adult _____Children
ISBN:________________________________ Publication Date:______________
Format (check all that apply): ____Hardcover ____Paperback ____Ebook ____Audio
Brief author bio:
***Please email a .jpg of the book cover to firstname.lastname@example.org -- required***
____ I have attached at least 25 email addresses for the Showcase invitation
____ Please send me the e-invite and I will email it to at least 25 people
Send your completed application to email@example.com. Printed forms may be turned in to any staff member at Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, 502 Commercial, Emporia KS 66801.
New authors often have many questions about how best to finish, publish, and market their books. Staff at Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore is always happy to meet with new authors.
Consignment Guidelines and Request Form
Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore is proud to support local authors through our consignment program, which allows us to carry and feature a much wider variety of self-published and indie titles than we could through traditional purchasing.
Before completing the attached Consignment Request Form, please review the following: If your book is self-published or not readily available through our normal wholesalers, we may choose to sell it in our stores on a consignment basis. When your books are on consignment, they remain your property until sold. Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore cannot be responsible for lost or stolen merchandise.
If you would like your books to be considered for our consignment program, please follow these guidelines:
- Please make all consignment requests in writing or email via this form. We are not able to accommodate walk-ins or telephone inquiries. Additional forms are available for download at [ellenplumbs.com].
- To be considered for our program, your book must have the following:
- A printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name (no spiral binding, please)
- Paperback, hardback, board, or equivalent cover displaying the title and author name
- A 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Our consignment review process usually takes several business days. We will notify you via email of our decision as soon as possible.
- Materials submitted cannot be returned via mail. We will hold all materials for 30 days for in-store pickup at your earliest convenience.
- When we carry your book on consignment, we will display it on our shelves at Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore.
- As books sell, we will request additional copies from you. Feel free to check in with us via email regarding the sales of your book.
- Upon the sale of your book, you will receive 60% of the retail value of the book per copy sold. Checks will be sent monthly, after books are sold.
- Twice a year, we will evaluate the success of your book. If no books were sold, we will decide whether to keep your book on our shelves. If we choose not to continue carrying your book, we will contact you to arrange pickup.
- New to consignment? Here are some tips:
- Encourage everyone you know to purchase your book at Ellen Plumb’s.
- Contact local media and other outreach channels to announce that your book is available at our store.
- Send out press releases, review copies, and other promotional materials to generate interest.
- Get involved with book clubs, writing groups, libraries, and other organizations relevant to your book’s subject matter.
- The greatest success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated outreach programs.
- If you would like to hold a book signing at our store, please request information regarding our Local Author Showcase events.
Consignment Request Form
Complete this form in its entirety and bring in or mail three copies of your book, labeled “Consignment Request,” to Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore. If you have more than one book you’d like us to consider for consignment, complete one form for each request. We will notify you of our decision as soon as possible.
City: ____________________________________State: _____ ZIP: ____________
Email Address: _____________________________________________________
Phone Number: ______________________________________________________
ISBN: ________________________ Subject: ______________________________
Publication Date: __________________________ Retail Price: _________________
Signed: ______________________________________ Date: ________________
- This form, completed in full
- Three copies of your consignment book. Prominently mark the package “Consignment Request”.
- Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, 502 Commercial, Emporia, KS 66801